Monday, February 22, 2010
Letter writing and our digital age
Being in digital age, we rely on computers, laptops, PDA's and hand held devices for communication purposes. Email is the alternative way of snail mail or regular mail system. Correspondence is the way of exchanging thoughts, and delivering messages can be done electronically very fast and with ease. Letter writing is a matter of touching the keyboard but still there are many of us who love to read or write letters (hand written). This post contains some sayings or proverbs about 'letters' and there are some links to the posts or sites with love letters, funny letters, famous letters or fascinating letters.
- Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.
Send quote to a friend
Lord Byron (1788-1824) British poet.
- A letter is an unannounced visit, the postman the agent of rude surprises. One ought to reserve an hour a week for receiving letters and afterwards take a bath.
Send quote to a friend
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) German-Swiss philosopher and writer.
- The word that is heard perishes, but the letter that is written remains. (Proverb)
- Letters are among the most significant memorial a person can leave behind them.
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe (1749-1832) German poet, novelist and dramatist.
- “What a lot we lost when we stopped writing letters. You can't reread a phone call.”
- A letter is an unannounced visit, the postman the agent of rude surprises. One ought to reserve an hour a week for receiving letters and afterwords take a bath.
- Letters are above all useful as a means of expressing the ideal self; and no other method of communication is quite so good for this purpose. In letters we can reform without practice, beg without humiliation, snip and shape embarrassing experiences to the measure of our own desires...
- To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart. ~Phyllis Theroux
Read more at: 'Quote Garden'
'Letters of of note' is a blog offering fascinating letters, postcards, telegrams, faxes and memos. It is from 'Shaun Usher' who is a freelance writer, and blogger.
Related posts and links:
* Peruse Famous and Fascinating Letters
* 5 Fascinating Letters from the Past
* Some of the most famous love letters of all times from celebrities of their time. 'Romantic love letters'
* 'Love letters' at 'links 2love'
* Funny Letters from Famous People
* An awesome post about 'letters' at 'I, Me and Myself' blog.
* 'The Letters You Keep' is an announcement from 'Crane' saying that 'To celebrate the tradition of letter writing, we welcome you to share a treasured letter that you've received and kept. One winner will be awarded a Crane stationery wardrobe for all of his or her correspondence needs, valued at $500. Crane will award $250 worth of Crane stationery to three runners up.'